Dolor Washington Herring and Josephine Carter

Dolor W. Herring and Josephine Carter were my grandparents. Dolor was a son of George Washington Herring Jr. and Josima McNerva Allen. He was a grandson of George Washington Herring Sr. and Lucy Simco, and John Karah Allen and Mary L. Walker. Dolor's grandfather George W. Herring Sr. came to Missouri from Albemarle Co. Virginia in 1835.

Dolor was born December 19, 1871 on a farm in St. Aubert township, Callaway co., Missouri. He was the oldest son of George W. Herring Jr. and had 12 brothers and sisters. His father was a veteran of the Civil War on the side of the Confederacy, and his grandfather was a veteran of the War of 1812. Dolor's great great grandfather was a veteran of the Revolutionary War in Virginia.

His Allen ancestors came from Ireland and Scotland about 1753 to North Carolina where his great great grandfather John or David Allen served in the Revolutionary War. His great grandfather, Joseph Darby Allen moved to Montgomery Co. Kentucky where his grandfather John Karah Allen was born. John K. Allen was a Captain in the Seminole Indian War. The Allen family came to Callaway Co. Missouri in 1834.

Dolor attended school at the small country school that was on his grandfather's property. He left the farm and attended the Kirksville Normal college. For a few years he was a teacher, and he also started a small newspaper in Tebbetts Missouri, known as the Tebbetts Post.

He studied law in St. Louis and returned to Fulton to continue his law career. He was admitted to the Bar in 1903 and was a Judge in the Fulton courts for many years. A short bio about Dolor was printed in 1912 in a pamphlet about the city of Fulton:
D. W. Herring
     The subject of this sketch is a fitting example of what American pluck, pertinacity and ability can accomplish. Mr. D. W. Herring was born in Callaway County in 1871. His early education was received in the public schools of that county and the Kirksville Normal. He taught school for six years before he was admitted to the bar in 1903. He has served seven years as Police Judge at Fulton and is known to be a well versed lawyer, honorable and conscientious. He is a member of the Elks and highly esteemed.

On June 24, 1909, Dolor married his second cousin, Josephine Carter, in Fulton, Callaway Co. Missouri. Josephine was born October 15, 1881 in Fulton, the daughter of John Robert Carter and Maragaret Ann Fletcher. She did not like to be called Josephine, instead prefered to go by the name of Jo. Jo Carter Herring was a grandaughter of John G. Carter and Matilda J. Herring. She was a great grandaughter of John B. Herring and Mariah Hill, and, Robert P. Carter, b: abt. 1790 in Culpepper Co., Virginia, d: abt. 1831 in Kentucky, and Mary Polly Smith, b: abt. 1800 in Virginia d: Nov. 4, 1876 in Audrain Co., Missouri. She was a great great grandaughter of Benjamin Herring and Nancy Hill. Benjamin Herring was the brother of Dolor's great great grandfather, George Herring. Benjamin Herring came to Callaway Co. Missouri from Albemarle Co. Virginia in 1831, The Carter family came originally from Goochland Co. Virginia to Green Co. Kentucky, and then Callaway Co. Missouri in 1841.

On her mother's side, Jo was a grandaughter of John F. Fletcher and Judith Simco, and a great grandaughter of James Simco and Francis Canada, and, John Sr. and Mary Fletcher. Her grandmother, Judith Simco was the sister of Dolor's grandmother, Lucy Simco. The Fletcher family was originally from Virginia. The Simco family came to Missouri from Albemarle Co. Virginia at the same time the George Herring family came, 1835. They had been neighbors in Virginia.

Dolor and Josephine Carter Herring had three children:
  1. Margaret Anne Herring, b: October 6, 1911, Fulton, Callaway Co. Missouri, d: January 18, 1936, Fulton, Callaway Co. Missouri. She is buried in Hillcrest Cemetery, Fulton, Callaway Co. Missouri.
    • She graduated from Fulton High School in 1930, and went by the nickname of Peggy. In school she was a member of the Glee Club, the Girls Chorus, the Carnival, the Orchestra, and the Girls Hiking Club. She died of tuberculosis at the age of 25.
  2. David Wilson Herring, b: April 1, 1917, Fulton, Callaway Co. Missouri, d: October 27, 1981, Robinson, Crawford Co. Illinois. Graduated in the Class of 1935 from Fulton High School. He attended Westminester College in Fulton Missouri. WW II veteran, 667th Bomb Squadron, 444th Bomb Group, 20th Air Force. He served in India and in the Pacific during the war.
    • married, December 23, 1946, Iris Nadine Carrington, b: February 14, 1923, Auxasse, Callaway Co. Missouri, d: September 4, 1995, Robinson, Crawford Co. Illinois. She was a daughter of Carson Dillard Carrington and Mary Leona Wilks. A grandaughter of Nathanial Dillard Carrington and Eliza S. Herring, and, James Rufus Wilks and Oddie Elizabeth Day. David W. Herring and Iris Nadine Carrington Herring are buried in the Old Cemetery, Robinson, Crawford Co., Illinois.
      • Children: two, living.
      • Grandchildren: seven, living.
      • Great grandchildren: six, living.
  3. Josephine Carter Herring, b: May 25, 1919, Fulton, Callaway Co. Missouri, d: October 21, 1922, Fulton, Callway Co. Missouri. She is buried in Hillcrest Cemetery, Fulton, Callaway Co. Missouri.
    • Obit - Fulton Gazette October 26, 1922
      Killed By Tourist
      Josephine Herring Victim of Automobile. Child Lived But Few Minutes After Being Struck_Accident Considered Unavoidable
           Josephine Herring, three-year-old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. D.W. Herring, of East Ninth street, was struck and killed Saturday afternoon at 5:00 o'clock by an automobile driven by a tourist giving the name of T.J. Laune, who said his home was in New York City.
           The accident occurred in front of the garage of Renner brothers, in East Tenth street, and was witnessed by the child's mother and aunt, Miss Dorothy Carter, and also several men who were at the garage. The witnesses believe it was unavoidable.
           With her little brother, the child had crossed the street from the home of her grandmother, Mrs. John R. Carter, to the garage. After they had played there a short time they were called back by Miss Dorothy Carter, and it was while they were crossing the street to return that the car struck her.
           Witnesses say that as the child started across the street she looked to the east to see if the street was clear but failed to look to the west. The car that hit her was coming from the west and was traveling at a speed between 20 and 25 miles an hour.
           Laune said after the accident that he was watching a cow that was in the street and did not see the child until he was almost upon her. She had got out into the street five or six feet beyond an automobile that mechanics at the garage were working on before she was struck. She was knocked down by the fender and it is believed that both the front and rear wheels of the machine passed over her head. She breathed 15 or 20 minutes after the accident but was never conscious.
           Laune stopped his car as quickly as he could and went into the house of Mrs. Carter when the child was taken in. He said then that he would remain in Fulton for a day, but shortly afterward he decided to continue his journey and drove away.
           Laune talked with Ben Renner, one of the owners of the garage. He said he wad been working as an automobile mechanic in Arizona, and that work having become slack there, he was returning to his family in New York City. He spoke with a foreign accent. Mr. Renner thinks he was driving an old Pierce-Arrow car. The machine had been converted into a semi- truck by the removal of the rear seat and the substitution of a small truck body for it. The car was heavily loaded with boxes that were covered with canvas. Laune was driving by himself.
           Funeral services for the child were held at the home Sunday afternoon at 4:30 o'clock by the Rev. R.C. Holliday, of the Methodist church, assisted by the Rev. W. Garnet Alcorn, of the Christian church. Burial was in Hillcrest cemetery.
           Besides her parents, the little girl is survived by one sister, Margaret, and one brother, D.W., Jr. she was an active, bright little girl and was a general favorite in a neighborhood where there are many children. Great sympathy is felt in the city for all who are bereaved by her tragic death.

On the 1930 Fulton, Callaway Co, Missouri, census, they lived on Ninth Street, owned the house, valued at $6,000. They have a radio. Dolor is listed as 58 years old, married at age 36. He is an attorney in private practice. Jo is listed as the organist at the Methodist Church.

Carter home on 10th Street in Fulton, where Jo Carter grew up. Fulton High School was later built on the land. This is the house on Ninth Street in Fulton Missouri, where Dolor and Jo lived, and my father grew up.

The house on Ninth Street in Fulton Missouri has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places and is currently (2006) being restored to it's original condition.

Dolor Washington Herring died January 6, 1937. He is buried in Hillcrest Cemetery, Fulton, Callaway Co. Missouri.

obit - Fulton Daily Sun-Gazette January 9, 1937 (front page story)
Judge D. W. Herring Died on Wednesday
Native Callawegian Passed Away at Callaway Hospital After Short Illness.
Funeral On Friday
A Justice of Peace Here for Long Time - Also Surved As Special Judge.
Judge D.W. Herring, 65 years old, a native of Callaway county, died at 6:15 o'clock Wednesday evening at the Callaway Hospital, where he had been ill since Monday noon from ureamic poisoning. He had been in failing health several years but was able to be at his office down town as late as Saturday of last week.
     A funeral service will be conducted at the home at 207 East Ninth Street at 2:30 o'clock Friday afternoon by the Rev. Dr. W. Garnet Alcorn, pastor of the First Christian Church, assisted by the Rev. Dr. C.E. Ruyle, pastor of the Court Street Methodist Church, and burial will be in Hillcrest cemetery.
     Dolor W. Herring was born December 19, 1871, on a farm in the Herring school community, eight miles south of Fulton, the son of George Washington and Josephine Allen Herring. He was educated in the county schools and then attended Kirksville Normal at Kirksville. Afterward he taught in Callaway and later in Texas county.
     About the time he was teaching in the county, he started a newspaper at Tebbetts, known as the Tebbetts Post, and conducted this a number of years. Afterward he received a government appointment and was employed in the U.S. grain exchange at St. Louis. During that time he also studied law. Later he read law under the late Judge N.D. Thurmond of Fulton.
     He served several terms as police judge in Fulton and a number of terms as justice of the peace here. On several occasions he was named special judge in the Callaway Circuit Court, the last time following the death of Judge Collier.
He was married June 24, 1909 to Miss Josaphine      Carter of Fulton who survives, together with one son, David W. Herring. Two other children preceded him in death - Margaret, passing away January 18, 1936, and Josephine, who was fatally injured by an automobile, dying October 21, 1922. He is also survived by seven brothers, C.B. (Bob) Herring, Fulton; Grober C. Herring, Melbourne, Fla., J. Brent Herring, Minneapolis; Jack Herring, Fulton; Norman Herring, Kansas City, Herbert V. Herring, Kansas City; Woodson Herrig, Craig, Colo.; and two sisters, Mrs. Myrtle McCormick, Kansas City and Mrs. Scott Waters, Fulton. One brother and one sister preceded him in death.
     Judge Herring was a member of the First Christian Church. Friends of the family extend sincere sympathy.

Jo Carter Herring was very active in the Methodist Church in Fulton. She was the organist there for many many years. My primary memories of my grandmother were of visiting her a couple of times every year and playing with my brother in that big house. We always went to church with her when we visited. I also remember the times she would come on the train to stay at our house in Illinois. My grandmother was a very tall lady, and she always told me to stand up straight and be proud of being tall. She was very old fashioned, she wore lovely old antique broaches all the time. She used to teach me little poems and songs that were from her childhood. I was ten years old when she died.

Josephine Carter Herring died October 2, 1961, Fulton, Callaway Co. Missouri. She is buried in Hillcrest Cemetery, Fulton, Callaway Co. Missouri.

obit - Fulton Daily Sun - Gazette October 3, 1961
Rites Wednesday for Mrs. Herring, Dies at Hospital
     Mrs. D. W. Herring, 207 East Ninth Street, died yesterday afternoon at 2:30 p.m. at the Callaway Hospital where she had been a patient for about a week.
     Funeral services will be held Wednesday morning at 10:30 a.m. at the Maupin Funeral Home with the Rev. Ted Mallinckrodt officiating. Internment will be in the Hillcrest Cemetery. The body will lie in state until time for the services.
     Mrs. Herring was born in Fulton on October 15, 1881, the daughter of John R. and Margaret Carter. She attended Fulton public schools and is a graduate of William Woods College.
     She was married to D. W. Herring, also of Fulton. He preceeded her in death in 1937.
     She was a member of the Court Street Methodist Church, joining in girlhood, and was church orgnist for more than 35 years. She was also an active member of the Fulton Garden Club.
      Survivors include one son, David W. of Robinson, Illinois, and two grandchildren, John Carson Herring and Mary Jo Herring, both of Robinson. a niece, Mrs. Maureen Meyers of Fulton survives, along with serveral other nieces and nephews.
     Two children, Josephine Herring and Margaret Herring, preceeded her in death.

Home Page

Surname Index

Cemetery Index

Copyright 1998 - 2012

This page updated 12:57 PM 1/18/2008