Nancy Carrington was born on Aug 1, 1821 in Montgomery Co. Kentucky and came to Callaway Co., Missouri at the age of five. She was my 2nd great grandaunt, daughter of Randolph Carrington and Katharine McGary.
In 1839 after the death of her parents, the courts made Samuel, Nancy and Permelia, wards of their older brother, William T. Carrington.
On Jan 19, 1840 in Callaway Co., Missouri, she married Elisha K. Davis Jr. He was born about 1816 in Virginia, a son of Eli Davis, a grandson of Richard Davis and Priscilla Coe. Elisha's brother, Garrard Davis, married my 4th great grandaunt, Amelia Day.
Elisha and Nancy moved several times, finally ending up in Iowa where her husband died. She brought her children back to Callaway Co. between 1865 and 1870.
On the 1850 Census, this family is in District 2, Jefferson Twp, Andrew County, Missouri. On the 1860 Census, this family was living in Freemont Co. Iowa. On the 1870 Census, this family was back in Callaway Co., Missouri, Round Prairie Twp. Elisha Davis was dead by 1870, his last child born in 1865. On the 1880 Census, Nancy is still living in Round Prairie Twp, Callaway County, Missouri. Nathanial Carrington, my great grandfather, was living with this family in 1880, working on the farm, age 18.
Some census give Missouri for all children's births, 1860 shows which ones were born in Iowa. On the marriage record of Clara Viola Davis, it does show she was born in Iowa. It appears when they were living in Missouri, they gave their birth state as Missouri to the census taker.
Elisha and Nancy Carrington Davis had 9 children:
In the 1850 Census, this family is in District 2, Jefferson Twp, Andrew County, Missouri
In the 1880 Census, Nancy is widowed, and is living Round Prairie Twp, Callaway County, Missouri In 1880, Nathanial Carrington (my great grandfather) was living and working on Nancy Davis's farm (his aunt), age 18.
- William F. Davis, b: 1840, Missouri, d: unknown
- Richard I. Davis, b: 1842, Missouri, d: unknown
- Permelia Davis, b: Dec. 28, 1848, in Missouri, d: Feb 27, 1924, Hannibal, Ralls, Missouri. Click on her name for more information about their family.
- Married March 17, 1880 in Callaway Co. Missouri, my great granduncle, John Dabney Herring, b: Dec. 19, 1854, Callaway Co. Missouri d: April 4, 1931, Hannibal, Marion, Missouri. John was a son of my 2nd great grandparents, George W. Herring and Hester Ann Kemp.
- Bethel A. Davis, b: 1852, Fremont Co. Iowa. His name has also been found as Robert.
- married Nannie C. Usry on April 14, 1874 in Callaway Co., Missouri.
- Martha Ann Davis, b: Apr. 19, 1852, Fremont Co. Iowa, d: Oct. 10, 1924, Fulton, Callaway Co., Missouri, buried Hillcrest cemetery, Fulton, Callaway Co., Missouri.
- married George Michael McCauley, b: Apr. 14, 1847, Wisconsin, d: July 2, 1927, Fulton, Callaway Co., Missouri, buried in Hillcrest cemetery, Fulton, Callaway Co., Missouri. They had no children.
- John C. Davis, b: June, 1856, Fremont Co. Iowa
- married abt, 1893, Stella M. unknown, b: Feb. 1867, Illinois.
- Bethel and Bessie Davis, twins, b: Mar. 1895, Callaway Co., Missouri.
- Flora E. Davis, b: 1860, Fremont Co. Iowa, d: Apr. 14, 1888, Callaway Co., Missouri.
- married Nov. 23, 1886, Callaway Co., Missouri, Jefferson Davis Smart, b: Feb. 21, 1861 Callaway Co., Missouri, d: June 6, 1939, LaGrande, Union Co., Oregon, son of Moses Smart and Permelia Smart. He married Elizabeth May Snook in 1899.
- Clara Viola Davis, b: 1862, Fremont, Iowa, d: March 18, 1926, Callaway Co. Missouri, buried in Hillcrest cemetery, Fulton, Callaway Co., Missouri.
- married Nov. 12, 1890, my great granduncle, James G. Herring b: Abt 1856 Callaway Co. Missouri d: July 04, 1927, Callaway Co. Missouri, buried in Hillcrest cemetery, Fulton, Callaway Co., Missouri. James was a son of my 2nd great grandparents, George W. Herring and Hester Ann Kemp.
The dates on their headstone are wrong.
- Lucy R. Davis, b: 1865, Missouri or Iowa, d: unknown
Elisha Davis died between 1865 and 1870 probably in Fremont, Iowa. Nancy Carrington Davis moved back to Callaway Co., Missouri after his death. In the 1870 census she is living next door to the Charles A. Davis family, and one house away from Amelia Day Davis. Amelia Day Davis was the daughter of my 5th great grandfather, Truman Day. Her husband, Gerard W. Davis was a brother of Elisha Davis.
Nancy Carrington Davis died November 15, 1889 and is buried in Carrington Cemetery, Carrington, Callaway, Missouri.